The Catholic University of America

Which Office Issues Immigration Documents?

Two offices are responsible for issuing I-20s:

1. Office of University Admissions and

2. International Student and Scholar Services

The division of Labor between the two offices is summarized in the following table:

Office of University Admissions

International Student & Scholar Services

  • All incoming degree-seeking undergraduate students, entering the U.S. to begin their course of study.
  • All undergraduate students currently holding F-1 status from another academic institution - high school or college/university level -- who are transferring to CUA to study.
  • Theological College

  • Graduate Students
  • Intensive English Program
  • Law School
  • Metropolitan School of Professional Studies
  • Current CUA students changing level of study (intensive English to degree program or moving from one degree program to another)
  • Students in another nonimmigrant status seeking to change to F-1 or J-1

ISSS will issue Forms DS-2019s to bring students to the US in J-1 status in the following circumstances:

  • Exchange Students participating in a CUA exchange program.
  • Student is funded by their home government and is required to return home upon completion of studies.